So heavy on my heart every day is the question “How do I keep my children willfully following God’s word?” It seems easy now while they are so young — I hear their sweet voices singing songs of praise, their pride in reciting bible verses, their love of challenging me with questions… But I realize as every day passes, as they grow older and busier, and become more susceptible to negative influences in the world…. how do I keep God in the forefront of their minds and in the deepest depths of their hearts?
I’ve been reading and reflecting a lot on this question and I think this is a good start on what we, as parents have a great responsibility to do …
- Inspire them. Be the message + set the example. Live our lives as a reflection of God’s word, inspiring them to live life biblically and authentically. Make it a daily conscious commitment to fulfill God’s will for our lives and to glorify him. Encourage them. If they don’t experience it first hand they will never see it’s importance. Our actions usually speak much louder than our words.
- Pray for them. Every single day. Every. Single. Day.
- Surround them with God’s love through others who live in his word. Surround them with God centered people who love them. Let them experience first-hand all of the good and beauty in the world.
- Enrich their lives through prayer, reading + conversation — show them the importance of daily time in God’s word and be an instrument of his blessing. Give them a strong foundation of prayer and thanks and keep the lines of conversation open and ever-flowing.
- Build your home with love. Home should reflect praise and be a nurturing environment in which they learn and grow. God designed the family. We must continue to bring meaning and continuity to the life and relationship of our family.
- Have a vision – Make the commitment every single day. Show them direction on how to live a full and beautifully fulfilled life. Build a strong foundation that will live on with them forever. Inspire them to live with intent and purpose in God’s grace through serving others.
- Live in love. Let love be your greatest aim. It should be your top priority. Show them that every incident in their lives can be an opportunity to show love.
Ministering to our children is one of the most important purposes of our life. I hope if you have any thoughts or personal insights of your own that you will reply with them — it would be greatly appreciated!!
“The fundamental mission of motherhood now is the same as it has always was: to nurture, protect, and instruct children, to create a home environment that enables them to learn and grow, to help them develop a heart for God and his purposes, and to send them out into the world prepared to live both fully and meaningfully. It’s up to us to embrace that mission as our own, trusting God to walk us through the details and to use our willing mothers’ hands as instruments of his blessing.”
~Sally Clarkson, The Mission of Motherhood
♥ If you like this post, please share the love by forwarding to a friend!